Are you searching for a dish that will tantalize your taste buds and take you on a culinary adventure to the vibrant and exotic flavours of the Indian subcontinent? Look no further than Chicken Karahi! Millions of food lovers worldwide cherish and love this classic South Asian dish that is named after the deep and wok-like cooking vessel used to prepare it..
Chicken Karahi’s rich, bold, spicy flavour profile makes it so special. The chef prepares Chicken Karahi by cooking succulent chicken to perfection in a flavorful tomato-based sauce, which is packed with aromatic spices, tangy green chillies, and a hint of zesty lemon.
The dish’s complex and well–balanced blend of spices creates a perfect harmony of flavours that will leave your taste buds dancing with joy. From the smoky cumin and coriander to the warm garam masala, every ingredient in this recipe is critical in enhancing the dish’s flavour and aroma.
Chicken Karahi is perfect for sharing with family and friends and serve it with warm naan bread or steamed basmati rice
Its versatile flavour profile also makes it an ideal choice for special occasions, family dinners, or a cosy night.
So, whether you’re a fan of spicy food or simply looking to explore new culinary horizons, Chicken Karahi is a must–try dish that will delight your senses and leave you wanting more.
Chicken Karahi Recipe
- 1 kg chicken, cut into medium-sized pieces
- Two medium-sized onions, finely chopped
- Three medium-sized tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2-3 green chillies, chopped
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- Salt, to taste
- Fresh coriander leaves, chopped for garnish
- Lemon wedges for serving
- In a bowl, mix the chicken pieces with ginger paste, garlic paste, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, and salt. Let the chicken marinate for 30 minutes.
- Heat the cooking oil over medium heat in a karahi or a deep pan. Add cumin seeds and coriander seeds and let them splutter.
- Add the finely chopped onions and sauté until they turn golden brown.
- Add the marinated chicken to the pan and fry for 5-7 minutes, until the chicken is lightly browned.
- Mix well with the finely chopped tomatoes and green chillies in the pan. Cover and let the mixture cook on low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove the lid and let the sauce thicken for a few minutes.
- Add garam masala powder and mix well. Adjust the seasoning as per taste.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot with naan bread, rice, and lemon wedges.
Enjoy your homemade Chicken Karahi with your loved ones!