Beef karahi is a popular and delicious Pakistani dish made with tender cuts of beef cooked with a blend of aromatic spices and tomatoes. It is a rich, flavorful dish often served in a traditional metal cooking pot called a karahi. Beef karahi is a staple in Pakistani cuisine and is enjoyed by people worldwide. This dish perfectly combines succulent meat, fragrant spices, and tangy tomatoes, creating a mouth-watering experience for anyone who tries it. Whether made with a spicy tomato-based sauce or a rich yogurt-based marinade, beef karahi is a beloved dish that will satisfy any food lover’s cravings.
- 1 kg beef, boneless and cut into small cubes
- 4 medium-sized tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons ginger, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic, finely chopped
- 4 green chilies, sliced
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup cooking oil or ghee
- Fresh coriander leaves, chopped for garnishing
Recipe of Beef Karahi
- Heat the oil or ghee in a karahi or a heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat.
- Add cumin and coriander seeds and fry for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add ginger and garlic and sauté for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the beef pieces and cook until browned on all sides.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook until they turn mushy and release their juices.
- Add red chili powder, garam masala, and salt. Mix well and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Add green chilies and some water (about 1/2 cup) and let the beef cook on medium-low heat until tender and the gravy thickens to your desired consistency.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot with naan bread or rice.
Note: Adjust the amount of chili powder and green chilies based on your spice preference. You can also add some lemon juice at the end for a tangy flavor. For an even richer flavor, marinate the beef in yogurt and spices for a few hours before cooking.